The law pertaining to Workers’ Compensation is found in 21 V.S.A. Chapters 9. The Department of Labor, Workers’ Compensation and Safety Division is responsible for administration of that statute.
The Workers’ Compensation Statute, a no-fault insurance system, provides the employer of an injured worker with protection from suit while it provides the injured worker with:
- medical treatment for the injury,
- compensation for lost earnings until the worker has reached a Medical End Result or has returned to work,
- Permanent Partial Disability compensation for loss of function caused by the injury,
- and Vocational Rehabilitation to assist the worker to regain earning capacity.
The Workers’ Compensation Division performs the following functions:
- Receives, reviews and assigns a claim number to each First Report of Injury, (Form 1)
- Receives and reviews Employee’s Claim of Injury (Form 5) and notifies employer of obligation to submit First Report,
- Sets up files as required to follow claim paperwork,
- Audits the paper flow from carriers, in the course of adjusting the claim, to insure that the law is correctly applied in the calculation of benefits due the claimant.
- Facilitates the adjusting of the claim to resolve misunderstandings, clarify interpretation of the statute and to reduce unnecessary delays.
- Mediates disputes between the parties involving the facts of the case.
- Issues interim orders concerning the payment of benefits when the facts indicate the probability that such action should take place.
- Reviews and approves Return to Work Plan to insure that the claimant receives appropriate training and assistance for return to work.
- Processes approvals of Exclusion from Coverage (form 29) applications for the officers of corporations.
- Enforces the statutory requirement that all employers provide workers’ compensation protection for their employees.
- Provides annual training for all adjusters licensed to adjust workers’ compensation claims in Vermont.
- Issues citations to insurance carriers that fail to properly adjust Vermont claims in accord with the statute and rules.
- Offers public education to employees and their representatives, employers and their professional associations.
How to Contact Us:
Vermont Department of Labor
5 Green Mountain Drive, PO Box 488
Montpelier, Vermont 05601-0488
Fax: (802) 828-2195